Saturday, March 16, 2013

Wannabe Gardener


Yes, I'm a Wannabe Gardener. I fill my head with marvelous ideas for planting a garden by browsing seed catalogs, buying gardening books, and searching the web for gardening ideas. Several years back, I tried my hand at a kitchen garden and a greenhouse. I've managed to grow some vegetables, such as tomatoes, beans, lettuce, potatoes, and peppers. However, it's not as successful as it may sound. For all my efforts, it was not a high yielding garden.

I plan on trying again. I've already started seedlings indoors. The pole and bush bean sprouts are just pushing out from the dirt, and the tomatoes are barely visible. Today I started the squash, cucumbers, radishes, and green peppers.

This year, it's my goal to keep a written record of what I try and how well it works. Wish me luck!

4 comments:

  1. Meryl and I found this youtube channel today:

    http://www.youtube.com/user/UMDHGIC

    It has some of the most informative and well done videos I've seen on the subject.

    If you want to become a "Master Gardener," University of Maryland has an interesting little program going. http://mastergardener.umd.edu/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the youtube link, I've already watched a few videos. Also good information on the Master Gardener. There will be red worm composting demos at Schooley Mill Park this year (http://mastergardener.umd.edu/local/Howard/Composting/2013.CompostFlier.final.pdf).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cool! Meryl and I are expecting our worms very soon! Our worm bin is already good to go!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did you build your own bin? Be sure to take a picture.

      Delete